An extraordinary European integration session took place in the Verkhovna Rada today, during which a number of initiatives that will contribute to the decarbonization of the economy, protection of children's health and business development were voted.
During the briefing, Chairman of The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, Ruslan Stefanchuk, stressed that this is the first fundamental session in the field of European integration, initiated by the President of Ukraine.
For her part, Deputy Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration of Ukraine Olha Stefanishyna expressed hope that the initiative launched today would become a trend and such European integration days would take place on regular basis.
It should be recalled that the European Integration Days were also initiated by the Deputy Prime Minister at the Government level as well. On September 22, a meeting of the Government was dedicated to considering and approval of a number of European integration acts - from energy efficiency to consumer protection.
"Today we have adopted a number of important issues regarding digitalization: we are completing the reform of the transition to European standards of digital regulation through the creation of an independent body. The MPs also voted in favor of bills on green transformation and decarbonization, including the draft framework law on energy efficiency. The law on biomethane production, which actually creates a legal framework for this area, was also passed. The demand from European countries for these products is extremely high in the context of green transformation. The decisions adopted today create the basis for initiating new European integration days," said Olha Stefanishyna, Deputy Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration of Ukraine, following the results of the European integration session in the Parliament.
Among the adopted bills are as follows:
In the first reading:
- №3680-d on amendments to the laws of Ukraine "About the protection of the rights to plant varieties" and "On seeds and planting material". The draft law is aimed at improving and simplifying the procedure for passing the examination/consideration of the application and registration of new plant varieties, as well as improving the procedure for seed certification; preventing the sale of counterfeit seeds and/or planting material, etc.
- №4527 on amendments to the Law of Ukraine "On Combined Heat and Power (Cogeneration) and Waste Energy Potential" regarding the development of highly efficient cogeneration. The bill creates conditions for the development of highly efficient cogeneration in Ukraine, which allows to reduce fuel consumption for heat and electricity production, ie energy costs, and at the same time reduces greenhouse gas and harmful substances emissions into the environment, which is currently the most powerful incentive for construction of cogeneration units.
- №6055 on the National Commission for State Regulation in the fields of Electronic Communications, Radio Frequency Spectrum and Provision of Postal Services. The draft law defines the legal status of the National Commission and its powers.
In the second reading:
- №4507 on energy efficiency. The law sets out the mechanisms by which central and local governments should provide the best conditions for improving energy efficiency in the production, transportation, transmission, distribution, supply and consumption of energy.
- №5464 on amendments to the Law of Ukraine "On Alternative Fuels" regarding the development of biomethane production. The law paves the way for biomethane production in Ukraine on an industrial scale. The bill defines the concept of "biomethane", introduces a mechanism for verification of biomethane, which will allow to check the showings of biogas for compliance with natural gas standards, etc.
- №4554 on amendments to some legislative acts of Ukraine to bring the legislation of Ukraine in the field of baby food in line with the requirements of EU laws. The document creates conditions for providing children with safe and high-quality baby food, expanding the range of baby food, raising the level of awareness of baby food consumers so that they can choose the best way to feed their child.
The Verkhovna Rada also approved decisions to ratify the following documents:
- Memorandum of Understanding between Ukraine and the European Police Office on Confidentiality and Ensuring Information Preservation, №0075;
- Agreement between Ukraine and the Republic of Finland on mutual protection of information with limited access, №0089;
- on Ukraine's accession to the Convention of the European Forest Institute, №0094;
- Agreement between the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the Government of the Republic of Estonia on technical and financial cooperation, №0108;
- Agreement (in the form of an exchange of notes) between the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the Government of the Kingdom of Denmark on the implementation of paid activities by family members of employees of diplomatic missions and consular posts, №0111;
- Letter on amendments № 3 to the Financing Agreement (project "Municipal Infrastructure Development Program of Ukraine") between Ukraine and the European Investment Bank, №0113;
- Agreement on the contribution between Ukraine and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development regarding Ukraine's participation in the Eastern Europe Energy Efficiency and Environmental Partnership, №0120;
- Guarantee Agreement "Ukrposhta JSC Development Project: Logistics Network and Rural Branch" between Ukraine and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, №0123.