- European Integration
- Association Agreement between the European Union and Ukraine
- Support Group for Ukraine
Support Group for Ukraine has been established by the European Commission on April10, 2014.
The Group provides coordination and assistance to the EC work to support Ukraine. The Support Group can involve specialized experts from EU member states in order to enhance cooperation in the implementation of the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the EU, as well as to establish contacts with donors and the International Financing Institutions.
The Chairman of the Support Group is Peter Balas, Deputy Director General of DG for Trade.
The Support Group reports to the President of the European Commission and to the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy under the guidance of the Commissioner for European Neighborhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations.
In 2014, the Support Group together with the Ukrainian authorities identified and coordinated the technical assistance needed for planning and implementation of economic reforms, as well as reform priorities, in particular those related to the Association Agreement and Visa Liberalization Action Plan.
Since 2015, the goal of the Support Group will be to further support Ukraine in the elaboration and implementation of comprehensive reform programmes. In particular:
1. Provide support for sector reforms in Ukraine, including the implementation of the Association Agreement;
2. Sectoral cooperation with public authorities and civil society in Ukraine;
3. Sectoral cooperation with the EU Delegation in Ukraine;
4. Coordination with the services of the European Commission and the European External Action Service in the relevant areas, including the European Union Advisory Mission for Civilian Security Sector Reform Ukraine (EUAM)
The work of the Support Group is based on the Ukraine-EU Association Agenda which represents a practical and common guideline aimed at preparing and full implementing of the Association Agreement.
Note: This document is the main mechanism for monitoring and evaluation of Ukraine's progress in the implementation of the Association Agreement, as well as monitoring and evaluating of the political association and economic integration achievements.
Until now, ten short-term priorities have been regarded as crucial for Ukraine’s progress. These are reforms relating Constitution, judiciary, electoral laws and legislation, fight against corruption, public administration, energy, deregulation, public procurement, taxation and external audits.
As agreed, the EU will provide support to Ukraine in implementation of the Association Agenda objectives and priorities using all available EU assistance, as well as exchange of experiences, know-how and good practices.
The Group is divided into following sections:
• political issues;
• economic stabilization and structural reform;
• trade and customs;
• agriculture and sanitary / phytosanitary issues;
• justice and home affairs, including fight against corruption;
• industry and entrepreneurship;
• energy and environment;
• transport and infrastructure;
• scientific cooperation, education and social policy.