The second meeting of the Commission for Coordination of the Implementation of the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the EU took place on February 3 with the participation of the Prime Minister of Ukraine Denys Shmyhal.
The meeting gathered together Deputy Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration Olha Stefanishyna, First Deputy Speaker of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Ruslan Stefanchuk, Head of the EU Delegation to Ukraine Matti Maasikas, Representative of Ukraine to the European Union Mykola Tochytsky, others representatives of the Government, the Verkhovna Rada and the Office of the President.
The Head of Government noted that out of 30 bills in the sector of European integration, which had been determined as priorities during the last sitting of the Commission, 7 had been submitted to the Verkhovna Rada and 2 had been submitted for consideration and submission by the President of Ukraine.
According to the Prime Minister, the developed package of comprehensive changes in the legislation of Ukraine in the field of transport, energy, ecology, agricultural policy will allow for the following:
• improving the regulation of the market of road transport services in Ukraine in line with EU laws;
• regulating the provision of socially important services for the carriage of passengers by road and urban electric transport;
• increasing the efficiency of the use of fuel and energy resources in Ukraine, reducing the cost of energy resources, ensuring energy independence and energy security of the state;
• promoting the reconstruction of existing heat generating facilities into highly efficient combined heat and power plants;
• creating conditions to reduce the accident rate of high-risk facilities;
• effective perennial plant nursery management, achieving by producers of planting material to the current level in terms of quality and phytosanitary condition.
"It’s rather critical to ensure that European integration progress is maintained and that we are timely in fulfilling our objectives. By today's sitting, the list of priority bills in the Verkhovna Rada has already been updated - there are already more than 40, and all of them definitely need to be considered as a matter of priority," Denys Shmyhal stressed.
The Prime Minister called on the Verkhovna Rada to promote the inclusion of bills on the agenda of the sessions, and the members of the Government to ensure their support in the process of consideration.
Moreover, Denys Shmyhal noted that the Government's agenda for the first quarter of 2021 includes consideration of regulations in the field of rail transportation, intellectual property, integrated border management, wastewater disposal, energy management, quality of agricultural products and food, and other issues.
"Our goal remains unwavering - we are moving towards the EU internal market and we must achieve 4 freedoms: the movement of goods, persons, services and capital," the Head of Government stressed.
Following the meeting, the Prime Minister commissioned to submit to the Government as soon as possible draft laws aimed at fulfilling Ukraine’s European integration commitments, with a view to ensure their further submission to the Parliament. And also to submit for consideration of the Cabinet of Ministers normative-legal acts aimed at implementation of the Association Agreement.