At the initiative of First Lady Olena Zelenska, on September 11, 2020, Ukraine received the official status of a member of the Biarritz Partnership, an international initiative of equal rights and opportunities for everyone.
According to the order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of December 16, 2020, № 1578-p, Ukraine has undertaken commitments in five areas:
• development of barrier-free public space, friendly to families with children and low-mobility groups;
• teaching children the principles of equality between women and men;
• prevention of violence;
• reducing the pay gap between women and men;
• creating greater opportunities for men to care for children.
"Stereotypes about the role of women and men need to change, starting with education. That is why the Ministry of Education and Science is one of the subjects of the international initiative "Biarritz Partnership" and fulfills its obligations to promote gender equality," said Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine Serhii Shkarlet.
According to the Partnership Action Plan approved by the Government, the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine is responsible for ensuring the sustainability of the principles of gender equality in education, which provides for:
• development and approval of the Strategy for the implementation of gender equality in the field of education until 2030;
• approval of the action plan for the implementation of the Strategy for the implementation of gender equality in the field of education until 2030;
• introduction of anti-discrimination examination of educational content.
In general, educational activities on gender equality are carried out in educational institutions in accordance with the Law of Ukraine "On Ensuring Equal Rights and Opportunities for Women and Men".
The starting point for the introduction of gender equality in educational institutions is the principle of humanity and democratization of the educational process, the essence of which is respect for women and men, lack of violence, tolerance, equality between men and women, women's empowerment.
Pursuant to Part 3, Article 21 of the Law of Ukraine "On Ensuring Equal Rights and Opportunities for Women and Men", the Ministry of Education and Science provides examination of educational programs, textbooks and manuals for educational institutions on compliance with the principle of equal rights and opportunities for women and men on the basis of gender status.
From the 2018/2019 academic year, the course "Civic Education" has been taught in all institutions of general secondary education. According to the program, students get acquainted with such concepts as discrimination, gender equality, transformation of family models, etc.