Today, December 21, at its meeting, the Government has approved a new State Program for Improving Road Safety in Ukraine for the period up to 2023. The document was developed on the basis of the previously approved Strategy for Improving Road Safety in Ukraine until 2024. Its main goal is to reduce the death rate due to road accidents compared to 2019 by at least 30% by 2024 and by 50% by 2030. This, in turn, will allow saving more than 1,000 lives each year. This was announced by the Minister of Infrastructure Vladyslav Kryklii.
"Road safety is our priority №1. The Government has recently approved a new Traffic Safety Strategy until 2024, and today - the relevant State Program, which was developed on its basis. Therefore, in the coming years and aftermath, we will continue to build a modern security infrastructure. These include modern roundabouts and safe pedestrian crossings, rest sites for drivers, damping systems and phantoms, automatic Weigh-in-Motion systems, cameras for auto-recording of traffic violations and other important activities. I am grateful to the Government for the approved decision," Vladyslav Kryklii said.
In particular, the State Traffic Safety Program is aimed at:
- reduction of the death rate as a result of road accidents and the severity of their consequences for traffic participants;
- reduction of socio-economic losses from road traffic injuries;
- increasing the level of compliance with traffic rules by its participants.
In 2021, a UAH 2.4 billion resource is provided for its implementation, for which it is planned:
- to build new roundabouts and illuminated pedestrian crossings with traffic lights on demand;
- to arrange new damping systems, Weigh-in-Motion complexes for automatic dimensional and weight control and platforms for rest and weighing;
- to expand the system of auto-photo-video-recording by installing another 125 ASSs (automatic surveillance systems);
- to purchase phantoms and special vehicles for the police to check the condition of the road network and the technical condition of vehicles.
It should be noted that on October 21, at its meeting, the Government approved a new Strategy for Improving Road Safety in Ukraine until 2024.
It covers the following areas:
- digitalization and introduction of a smart transport system in the road safety management system;
- development of modern safety infrastructure;
- creation of conditions and rules on the transport market that make it impossible for carriers to neglect safety rules;
- creation of a system of effective and fast assistance to victims of road accidents;
- a long-term large-scale campaign designed to significantly change the level of society's attitude to traffic safety.