In 2018, the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine registered 264 new projects of international technical assistance with total funding of more than $953 million, which is by 50% more than in 2017. In total, 486 technical assistance projects for the total amount of $6.1 billion are currently being implemented in Ukraine.
For the period 2018-2022, the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade has attracted funds from organizations of the United Nations to the tune of $675 million along the following directions:
- sustainable economic growth,
- the environment and employment,
- equal access to high-quality and inclusive services and social protection,
- democratic governance, rule of law and participation of the public,
- citizen safety, social cohesion and recovery with a special emphasis on the east.
Moreover, Ukraine was disbursed financial assistance by the EU in the amount of €272.5 million for 2019-2024 years, of which:
- €104 million to support energy efficiency,
- €55.5 million to support public financial management for Ukraine,
- €37 million to increase the capacity of the state authorities of Ukraine to implement the Association Agreement and the DCFTA,
- €58 million to increase the effectiveness of reforms in vocational education in Ukraine,
- €18 million to carry out professional exchanges and short-term professional training in EU member states.
Apart from that, in 2018, the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade leverages technical assistance from the US Government to the tune of $78 million, in particular:
- $23.6 million to improve the legislative and strategic environment in line with European standards, improve public oversight functions and citizen participation in governance processes, increase the level of accountability of the Government of Ukraine to citizens and abidance by the rule of law,
- $54.4 million to increase the availability of investment for the needs of the middle class, which is currently forming in Ukraine, to strengthen the private sector of the economy, to increase the level of energy security and boost volumes of agricultural production.
Meanwhile, in 2018 the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade made the following achievement:
- signed 16 international agreements to finance new assistance programs for Ukraine and development of financial and technical cooperation with the EU, USA, PRC, Germany, Korea, OECD;
- introduced a national monitoring and control system for the European Neighborhood Instrument Cross-Border Cooperation Programs in 2014-2020. Improved mechanisms for the preparation, implementation and monitoring of EU sectoral budget support programs in Ukraine to improve their performance;
- conducted 7 joint with donors reviews of the project portfolio of international technical assistance projects implemented in Ukraine (the EU, IBRD, USAID, Germany, Sweden).
Now the Ministry is coordinating the process of Ukraine's participation in 4 European Neighborhood Instrument Cross-Border Cooperation Programs 2014-2020, in particular:
- the results of the first competitions for the programs "Ukraine-Poland-Belarus", "Black Sea Basin", "Ukraine-Hungary-Slovakia-Romania 2014-2020" have been approved, according to which Ukrainian institutions and organizations will participate in 94 projects with a share of grant financing for Ukraine to the tune of €60.8 million.
- 2 new competitions for the programs "Ukraine-Poland-Belarus" and "Black Sea Basin" have been launched for the total amount of €24.5 million with the results of these competitions planned to approve in 2019.