The United States, through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), has announced an additional $155 million resource as development funding for Ukraine.
In close partnership with the Government of Ukraine, USAID will focus on improving the lives of Ukrainians.
Additional resources will be used this year to address a number of key issues in various areas of Ukraine's development, including:
Supporting economic growth and improving the health of Ukrainians - $34 million:
- supporting the recovery of Ukraine after the COVID-19 pandemic by improving the quality of basic medical services for Ukrainians;
- increasing transparency and expanding economic opportunities in the energy, agriculture and financial sectors to help increase investor confidence, attract investment and enhance the economic sustainability of small and medium-sized businesses;
- providing assistance in the development of the land market as a driver of economic growth and leverage of investment in the agricultural sector.
Improvement of anti-corruption measures - $14 million:
- supporting reforms and ensuring the protection of anti-corruption institutions in order to counter ingrained interests so that all of Ukraine's resources are used for the benefit of its people;
- reducing corruption in healthcare sector and assisting Ukraine in purchasing essential medicines in order to reduce informal payments from patients and ensure access to quality medicines at lower costs;
- supporting further development of e-government platforms, which simplify citizens' access to services and streamline the process of receiving pensions, unemployment benefits, etc.
Countering Russian aggression - $63 million:
- protection of human rights and ensuring access to justice for Ukrainians affected by the Kremlin-backed aggression in Crimea and Donbas;
- reducing Ukraine's energy and economic dependence on Russia by promoting connection to Europe's energy network, as well as strengthening Ukrainian enterprises operating in the east of the country;
- expanding citizens' access to high-quality and unbiased information in order to combat malicious influence and misinformation, support European integration and strengthen democratic processes in Ukraine.
Strengthening democracy and governance - $44 million:
- extending judicial reform to build a more independent system that guarantees the rule of law and equal access to justice, so that Ukrainians feel confident that the country's judicial system is better aligned with the principles of equality, impartiality and justice;
- strengthening the capacities of newly created united territorial communities and providing wider provision of quality services to residents to promote decentralization reform;
- encouraging youth leadership and innovation, as well as participating in building a democratic, pluralistic, European-oriented Ukraine.
The US and Ukrainian governments remain determined to pursue Ukraine's Euro-Atlantic aspirations and further joint action in support of its people.