On April 22, the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine, the National Museum of the Holodomor Genocide, the Ukrainian World Congress and the International Charitable Foundation of the Holodomor Museum signed a Memorandum of Partnership in the project to create the Second Phase of the National Museum of Holodomor Genocide and the opening for visitors in 2023, on the occasion of the 90-ieth anniversary of the Holodomor, the main exposition of the newly built modern Museum.
By the 30th anniversary of Ukraine's Independence, the Government aims to complete the reconstruction of the first phase of the National Museum of the Holodomor Genocide, continue construction of the second phase and begin work on creating the main exposition of the Museum. The memorandum is one of the steps in a number of initiatives of the President of Ukraine and the Government to prepare for the marking of this date.
The signing of the Memorandum is important to ensure effective implementation of public-private partnership aimed at consolidating the efforts of the state and civil society to restore and preserve national memory, to ensure public support of the modern institution - the Holodomor Museum complex - not only at the stage of its formation but also in its future sustainable development.
According to the Memorandum, the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine represents the part of the state in the partnership and provides Government’s support for the project implementation.
"The Holodomor is a tragic page in our history. And the whole world should know the truth about who is answerable for that. For decades, the Soviet authorities had been hiding this horrific reality, in which hundreds of thousands of people were living. It covered up a purposeful act of genocide of the Ukrainian people. The museum complex will provide access to truthful information about what was really happening at that time. Without diminutions and pseudo-facts. Its construction is an extremely important step towards perpetuating the memory of all Ukrainians, as well as those who also suffered from the inhuman repressions of the USSR. History is never forgotten," said Oleksandr Tkachenko, Minister of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine.
The National Museum of the Holodomor Genocide is responsible for the content of the main exposition that will be created in the building under construction. The scientific concept of the exposition has already been developed on the basis of the museum. The Museum provides the work of the Content Group, which includes museum staff, as well as museologists, historians and specialists from other related disciplines. An international Expert Scientific Council has also been established on the basis of the Museum.
According to the Memorandum, the Ukrainian World Congress is responsible for the international support of the Holodomor Museum Project.
"The Ukrainian World Congress is actively involved in the creation and development of the Museum of the Holodomor-Genocide. For decades, we have consistently conveyed to the world the truth about the terrible crime of the Stalinist regime and stand for the international recognition of the Holodomor as an act of genocide of the Ukrainian people. Attracting international support will contribute to the creation of a world-class museum and make it known not only within Ukraine but also globally," said UWC President Paul Grod.
The participation of civil society, a wide range of philanthropists in Ukraine and abroad in the creation of the Holodomor Museum is ensured by the International Charitable Foundation of the Holodomor Museum. According to the Memorandum, the objective of the Holodomor Museum Foundation is to provide financial support for the creation and implementation of the main exposition project, arrangement of the internal museum space and support for the further development of the created museum complex. The Foundation will also represent the interests of philanthropists.