On December 27, the Cabinet of Ministers adopted the development strategy of the risk management system at the customs for the period till 2022 and the action plan for its implementation.
What’s it about?
As part of the customs reform, the Ministry of Finance is working to develop and to improve the customs risk management system in Ukraine. The goal is to build up a modern, flexible, multifunctional risk management system for the customs which shall be regularly updated at the central and regional level. To achieve this goal, the development strategy of the risk management system for the period till 2022 and the action plan for its implementation were adopted by the Government. The key aspects covered by the strategy refer to the legal framework, organizational structure, risk management processes, cooperation, IT, resources and training.
The action plan includes, among others, the following steps:
· Establishment of a separate 24/7 unit for the customs risk management;
· Establishment of risk management units at the customs offices;
· Contest-based selection of employees for the risk management units at the customs;
· Establishment of a unit at the SFS responsible for the maintenance of the pricing database containing information retrieved from commercial databases;
· Implementation of targeting during customs control related to the most risk-exposed foreign trade transactions;
· Development of a comprehensive automated system for the monitoring of the use of the risk management system;
· Development of software for the automation of the risk analysis and assessment including software for the border checkpoints.
What’s the benefit?
The strategy will contribute to the further automation of the risk analysis and assessment, to the reduction of the human factor in decision making at the customs as well as to the implementation of the best international experiences related to risk management at the SFS.